(History, Importance & Facts)
- Republic Day is celebrated on January 26 to commemorate the day on which the Constitution of India came into effect in 1950.
Every year, Republic Day is celebrated on January 26 to commemorate the day on which the Constitution of India came into effect in 1950. This year, this joyous day celebrated on Thursday. This occasion marks the day when India became a republic, and was no longer under the British Empire. India celebrating its 74th Republic Day this year.
The occasion is celebrated in all cities of the country with a great show in the national capital, New Delhi. The Republic Day parade starts from the Rashtrapati Bhavan and moves on to India Gate. The president of India unfurls the national flag, as everyone in attendance sings the National Anthem – Jana Gana Mana.
Every year, millions of Indians witness the rich tradition, cultural heritage, spectacle of the nation’s progress and achievements, and airshows by the Indian Army, Indian Navy and Indian Air Force on television. Apart from this, the public can experience these events, including the Republic Day Parade rehearsal, the parade and the Beating the Retreat ceremony, on Kartavaya Path.
Guest : This year, Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi is the chief guest of Republic Day celebrations.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi sent the formal invitation to al-Sisi which was handed over to the Egyptian president by Indian Foreign Minister S Jaishankar during an official visit to Egypt on October 16, 2022.
President Sukarno of Indonesia was the Guest of Honour during India’s first Republic Day event in 1950.
- After India gained Independence on August 15, 1947, from the rule of the Britishers, the Constituent Assembly of India was given the responsibility to draft a Constitution for India. The Constituent Assembly, which consisted of indirectly elected representatives, was headed by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, who was the chairman of the drafting committee. The Assembly began its first session precisely at 11:00 am on December 9, 1946, and that historic session was attended by almost 207 members. Later, Muslim League representatives and elected members of the princely states too joined the Assembly and on November 26, 1949, the Constituent Assembly approved the draft of the constitution.
- The Constitution of India came into effect from January 26, 1950 thereby making India one of the biggest democratic republics in the world.
- For any independent nation, the Constitution is of supreme importance because it gives the citizens the power to build democracy by choosing their own government.
- For Indians, January 26, is the day and the Constitution is the power through which we could proudly pave the way for a strong democratic nation that India is today.
- There is a very interesting reason behind choosing January 26 as the Republic Day. It was on January 26, 1930, that the Indian National Congress made the declaration of Purna Swaraj, as opposed to what the British Regime offered.
Facts about Constitution
Indian Constitution is the largest constitution in the world. It had 395 Articles, 22 Parts and 8 Schedules at the time of commencement. The Constitution, after 2012, consists of a preamble, 448 articles in 25 parts, 100 amendments and five appendices.
The Constituent Assembly, which formed a Drafting Committee, to draft the Constitution took more than two years to complete the task. committee was steered under the chairmanship of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar, who is also known as the ‘Father of the Constitution of India’.
To be precise, it took the very efficient committee two years, eleven months and eighteen days to complete this mammoth task of drafting the Constitution for India.
Source: Indian Express, The Times Of India, Hindustan times
बहुत ही सुंदर महोदय।
इसको पढ़ते ही आज दी जाने वाली स्पीच की तैयारी तक हो गई 🥰
Very nice sir. I regularly update your news & Any current events when you introduce. Everytime your topic is most useful for exam point of view for every student’s. Thanks Lots 🥰 Sir